ss_blog_claim=b1c8a347d19acb6069e7726e485dcc4d

Friday, June 12, 2009

Breathe by Lisa Tawn Bergren (a review)

Breathe: A Novel of Colorado (The Homeward Trilogy, #1) Breathe: A Novel of Colorado by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Devastated by the loss of four sons to tuberculosis and his wife in childbirth, a Philadelphia patriarch sends his three living children west in 1883 to make a new life in the clean mountain air of Colorado Springs. Odessa is struggling to survive consumption; Moira is beautiful and dangerously headstrong; and pugnacious Dominic is charged with establishing a new arm of the family business-a business he doesn't want. Readers will love The Homeward Trilogy, in which the St. Clair siblings struggle to follow where the heavenly Father leads them.
In Breathe, Odessa arrives at a famous sanitarium seeking a cure for the disease that killed her brothers. While Moira and Nic establish themselves in Colorado Springs society, Dessa inches her way back to health... and into love with a softspoken fellow patient, rancher Bryce McAllan. When she witnesses a murder - in the very hospital where she is recuperating - and other patients begin to die, Dessa struggles to breathe again. She'd always expected to die young, but now that she has a reason to live, can she hold on to her fragile health to solve the mystery?

My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
Breathe is more than just a prairie romance, it is an edge of your seat page turning mystery. This book is deeper than most historical fiction books that you will find and it really makes you think. There is a darker side of things, but not too dark to survive without God on your side.



In this novel, instead of following one character with various side characters in the background, the reader really follows the three different St. Clair siblings on their individual adventures. Having one story come to a content closure in this book, I really look forward to the next two books in the series to find out just how their journeys continue.


View all my reviews.


9 comments and creative thoughts:

Sheila Deeth said...

I love the title. Sounds a really interesting series.

Lindsey said...

Sounds really good, I guess I'm going to have to add this one to my TBR pile... *sigh*

Gorgeous cover!

Staci said...

I really love trilogies and this sounds like a good historical read!!

Heidenkind said...

This book sounds fun. I'm pretty sure I saw it somewhere before. I live in CO, so it might be nice to read something with a familiar setting. :)

Julie J. said...

This sounds like a fabulous book and one that I would really enjoy. Thanks for writing such a great review and for convincing me to put it on my TBR shelf! :)

CherryBlossomMJ said...

The first part seemed a little slow to take off, but then that could also be pregnancy brain. Overall it's good. Really good. Just remember it is deeper than your normal historical western read.

Cindy R. Wilson said...

I have heard good things about this. I think I might have to add it to my wish list :D

Lisa Tawn Bergren said...

Thanks for taking the time to read it and share your thoughts! And I loved the pics from your Wordless Wed post. God is amazing, isn't he??

CherryBlossomMJ said...

Lisa - Gladly! Oh and he is definitely amazing me every day!

Blog Archive