ss_blog_claim=b1c8a347d19acb6069e7726e485dcc4d

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Oak Leave by Maureen Lang




I read the first chapter of this book, The Oak Leaves, online several weeks ago, and was finally able to get it from inter-library loan this past week. I started the book last night, and could not put it down. I did sleep, but once I woke up this morning, I did not even get on my computer. I just read, stopped to make a PB&J and read. It is now almost four in the afternoon and I am finished. Maureen Lang has quite the affinity for story telling. I was completely entranced by the family heritage story that she was unrolling and could not stop until there was no more. (I'm glad there is a sequel!) As a genealogist myself, I'm very interested in learning of other peoples adventures into their heritage through newspaper entries, letters, or in this case an old diary.

Natalie, or Talie as everyone calls her is the modern mom of America. She attends her contemporary church with her husband and enjoys having her mother and sister near. Mom and baby's social group turns out to be less than she expected... and then she finds a box of heirlooms including a diary. The family legacy lies within the pages and it is not what Talie expected, but it turns out to be a curse that Lord can make into a blessing.

Other than genealogy, at one time I fancied a future as a nurse and genetics is something else that I have found intriguing. This story is one that all families should read. If something comes at you that seems terrible, there is a chance that there is good to come from it. Look for your lemonade in your lemons, and your blessings in your supposed curse.

I cannot wait to get my hands on the sequel On Sparrow Hill, to see how this story continues...
MJ

1 comments and creative thoughts:

Maureen Lang said...

Thanks so much for your wonderful comments on The Oak Leaves. Between the genealogy aspect and your interest in genetics, it sounds like this was a story written for you - I love it when that happens. It's like sitting in church and being touched by a sermon, convinced God is speaking directly to me through the pastor - only to learn afterward that God was speaking strongly to other people there, too, all of us with different takeaway value. Gotta love that!
Thanks again for including my book on your blog, MJ.