ss_blog_claim=b1c8a347d19acb6069e7726e485dcc4d

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Quilting Den

One of the absolute best things about my new house is the Quilting Den. Right now it is not much, and things are just piled everywhere, but it's functional and that's what counts. Here are a few pictures to show you what I mean...

Ok. Here you can see, while I'm standing in the center of the room facing the Quilting/Sewing area. Patches is delighted about carpet being everywhere in the house, and you can constantly see her stretched out enjoyed it. *grin* Hershey apparently has decided that my "work table" is very functional as well as comfortable...

On these shelves you see my HP collection, The Inheritance Series, Hobbit, LOTR, Narnia, Maid Marian, The King Raven Series, The Heretic Queen (my sister has Princess Ben and Neftertiti) and the Twilight Saga. On the other shelf my B&N Leatherbound Classics and then part of my Bible collection. On the back side (in the sewing section) there are identical shelves that are holding works in progress as well as quilting books and coloring utensils (pencils, crayons, markers, etc).


This is the main layout of the room standing at the door. The sewing space looks small from here, but when you are (see the white chair?) over there it is about six feet of carpet in between the tables and the entire length of the room!

The futon was booted to my room, when we bought new living room furniture (thank goodness for La-z-boy sales!!!) and now I have a comfy place to snuggle with stuffed animals, cross stitch, and read. (That would be my current niece/nephew's cross stitch blanket due April 2009 and Breaking Dawn with my cell phone and reading glasses.) Oh, the blue thing is the ironing board... something a quilter cannot live without... I'm not sure I've ever ironed clothing...

Oh, that little tall shelf is my non-fiction and devotions shelf, space to grow! Behind the picture frames on the other side is my current reading and Christmas fiction shelf as well as the entire Mandie Series and 1-8 of Holly's Heart. *grin*

*sigh*

This is my wall of shelves. The little blue one has all Tracie Peterson (the entire top row), Julie Lessman, Mary Connealy, Melanie Jeschke, Liz Curtis Higgs, Lawana Blackwell, Bonnie Leon, Deeanne Gist, other Scottish Historical Fiction, and some other various FAVORITES.

The books you can currently see shelved and on the floor is my Christian Fiction. The other General Market Fiction and Classics, etc are still in boxes... As well as my nursing books, health books, and Bibles, as well as Theology texts...

Most of the first full book shelf is historical of all eras, while the second shelf is mystery, science fiction, fantasy, and speculative.

The shelf on top of the shelf, not very safe I know... contains incoming books that have not been sorted yet... The shelf below it holds children's books and teen fiction.

And then of course, there is my baby. Hershey Kisses... quite comfortable on a work in progress quilt. Surrounded by pieces to hang on the wall for inspiration and quilt blocks for a sampler...




6 comments and creative thoughts:

Carol M said...

Oh, I just love your Quilting Den with all the great book shelves and books. I'm sure you'll spend lots of happy hours in this room. I love your two beautiful kitties, too. Both of my cats are black. Max and Mindy are almost two years old and are brother and sister. Congrats again on your wonderful new home. I'm sure you and your family will be very happy there.
Carol M
mittens0831 AT aol.com

Nise' said...

What a nice room! I see the kitties are making themselves at home as well. I told my Mom she is going to have to come to my house and teach me to quilt as I have quite recently decided I want to learn.

CherryBlossomMJ said...

Oh I really am excited! Tonight I got the power cord back to my machine (long story, my mama had it) and so next week I'm in business!!

kalea_kane said...

What a perfect quilting den. Your book shelves are certainly coming along! What a collection! I cannot wait to get some new shelves. Love your kitties too! I have a lovely fluffy long haired black cat much like yours. She is always finding a spot on paper or the table. She prefers both. :)

CherryBlossomMJ said...

Oh Kelly! I know what you mean about the paper! Hershey loves to sleep on paper, and Patches is crazy about plastic. Plastic bags, plastic wrappers, and especially tape. It's ridiculous! But then furry children often are...

Unknown said...

Love the wall of shelves wish I had more shelves and space to put them up. I have one 6'ish tall case with five shelves mostly double stacked where I could fit them that way and bursting at the seams anyway.

Then I have 2 or 3 shelves of a brick and board style set up in one closet with the books double stacked where they'll fit that way as well. The remainder of those shelves are plastic bins of stamping, scrapbooking, art and craft type supplies/materials so I really need at least one if not two more full bookcases but that would also require somewhere to actually put them in my apartment as well. I know where one would fit but after that they might start to push me out of my living space either that or they'd have to replace one of the "doll cases" with grandma's dolls that became mine a few years back but the doll cases aren't likely to go anywhere nor the crafty stuff.

Wish I had a whole room I could fill with books. My dream house would have a "library/den" whichever would become my library and would have built in shelves on all the walls except maybe one or part of one and cozy spots to sit and read including a window seat.

Melissa

Blog Archive