ss_blog_claim=b1c8a347d19acb6069e7726e485dcc4d

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Review: The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems

The Baby Whisperer Answers All Your Questions: Beyond the Basics from Infancy Through Toddlerhood The Baby Whisperer Answers All Your Questions: Beyond the Basics from Infancy Through Toddlerhood by Tracy Hogg

Goes beyond the basics presented in the author's first two child-care guides to offer a series of specific, targeted strategies for solving common challenges faced by parents of children up to three years of age, including feeding problems, sleep troubles, and behavior issues, in a volume complemented by real-life case stories.


My rating: 2 of 5 stars
*Checked out from the Arlington Public Library*

I found this on the shelf in the "parenting section". Odd for me to be able to look there still. This was recommended to me a couple months back as being pretty useful. Well, what do you know almost three months into parenting and I have already ruined my daughter's life and completely warped her sense of view and the world is going to end. I read this book last night. I cannot believe I read so many pages at once, but I had to. I needed to know how to fix what I had set into motion in the downward spiral that is my AppleBlossom's life. I read the book and found some great tidbits and advice. I went to sleep, dreampt about it all night long, and woke up agonizing over the schedule that I had never thought to follow. About half way through the day I realized that it was ridiculous. My daughter is perfect. She is different from all other babies and needs her own. My schedule with her does not have to be check check check. We are stay-at- home folks, and for now, we can go at a pace that works for us. One of the points in the book is that a baby just got here and does not know how to schedule when they need what that it is up to the parents to provide that organization. In retrospect, my baby knows when she's hungry and she tells me with various signs and cues. She knows when she's sleepy too. I fretted and freaked at first, but now realize this may work for someone that really needs the structure, but for us, it's just silly. God gave her natural sense to do what she needs when she needs it. With the move (moving at two weeks notice from GA to TN with a 2-1/2 month old) we have been out and about all the time and she sleeps when she's tired and "cry-ne-aches" (that's a Margaret-ism) when she's hungry until she's fed. It works and we're happy.

View all my reviews >>


2 comments and creative thoughts:

TeamOSM said...

I haven't read this book, but I did read her first book. It has it's good and bad, but for the most part it was helpful for me. I think we differ, though, because my point of view is that Oliver was brand new and didn't know what he needed, and I did...you feel like AB knows what she needs and you listen to her. A schedule has worked out really well for us, and I like the predictability. I think Oliver likes it, too...knowing what is going to come next.

Just my two cents!

CherryBlossomMJ said...

Isn't it neat how each child is different and enjoys a variety of environments for their own personality?

Blog Archive