ss_blog_claim=b1c8a347d19acb6069e7726e485dcc4d

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Book Reflection's

I took this from Amy's blog, and it's just fabulous!

1. Do you remember how you developed a love of reading?

From the first grade, I have memories of being in the advanced readers group, I think there were five of us. I remember being proud of that fact, that reading just came so easily to me. I remember reading lots with my parents and siblings, but the first book I really remember reading and thinking that reading was just wonderful I guess I was about 12, but I do not really know. It was Avi's The True Confession's of Charlotte Doyle, after that it was over for me. I was hooked and could never get enough of just about anything. Especial adventure with a heroine who survived struggles of the deep sea!

2. What are some books you loved as a child?

The True Confession's of Charlotte Doyle, Boston Jane, The Mandie Series, The Lily Adventures, Holly's Heart and many others.

3. What is your favorite genre?

I'd probably have to say Historical Fiction. I love learning a little bit as I read about different times and places. My dad shares a love of history with me, but he's always skeptical about historical fiction, because he is unsure sometimes of the fact v. fiction. I try to tell him that it does not bother me and that I read with the mindset of I must double check something before completely relying on it as fact, but with the best authors the research is fascinating! (And think of all that time they saved me from having to research something I wouldn't have thought of in the first place!)

4. Do you have a favorite novel?

There are a ton of books I love, more or less I'd have to list off authors that I love rather than specific books, because I doubt I have enough space in my blog to list all the books! I'd start with Liz Curtis Higgs, as she is the one who brought me into Christian Historical Fiction if you do not count my childhood ventures into The Mandie Series. Liz made me a devoted reader with her Scottish Highlands series. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for her new series! Other's that I love: DragonKeeper Chronicles by Donita K. Paul, Beyond the Reflection's Edge by Bryan Davis (cannot wait for Eternity's Edge!), Oxford Chronicles by Melanie Jeschke (she has a great new rendition of Jane Eyre coming out soon!), The Restorer by Sharon Hinck, Sweet Caroline & Love Starts with Elle by Rachel Hauck, The Edge of Recall by Kristen Heitzmann, A Passion Most Pure by Julie Lessman (so excited about the sequels!!), Fountain Creek Chronicles by Tamera Alexander, anything published by Avon Inspire (Defiant Heart, Distant Heart, Hidden, Awaken My Heart,...) Other books I love, outside the realm of Christian fiction would be Nefertiti by Michelle Moran (cannot wait for The Heretic Queen and Cleopatra's Daughter!), Silent series by Deanna Raybourn (Silent in the Grave/Sanctuary and cannot wait for Silent on the Moor!), and then of course other's I'm addicted to are The Inheritance Series by Christopher Paolini (Eragon, Eldest, and I preordered Brisingr months ago...), also Harry Potter. I'm so one of those people that bought them by preorder and all life was set aside until I finished reading it. Sorry, but true. I did not however dress up and go to midnight parties.

and I could go on an on... But if I had to list an absolute favorite...

I'd say Scarlet by Stephen Lawhead. Without a doubt, his imagination caught me up so strongly in Hood, and I couldn't read Scarlet fast enough.


5. Where do you usually read?

I read in my chaise, my bed, and anywhere else where I can balance with a book comfortably.

6. When do you usually read?

I read all day long every day. Well not everyday, but right now where I've appointed my "job" as a book reviewer, where I get "paid" in "free books" I do spend a lot of time reading in between quilting and being the housewife of my hubbies dreams. *giggles* At least I'm trying... there are times where if a book grabs me, I'll read it until I'm finished, even if that involves it being 5:30 in the morning...

7. Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?

Right now, I have about twelve bookmarks in a book, but when a book grabs me I stick through it. Usually I can read about a 230 page book in a day, but longer ones take more time. If it doesn't fully grab me, it takes even longer. I have books for review, books that I borrowed from a friend, books that I bought because they're fabulous, and books from the library all going at once with various deadlines. It keeps me busy, but I'm completely addicted. Is that a bad thing?

8. Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?

Usually non-fiction takes me a lot longer to read, as some publicists have patiently learned with me (sorry!!!), but I do get it read, and it always makes me think! As far as place, probably all the same locations, but with out any distraction (no background music or noise).

9. Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library?

I used to buy all of the books that I desired, but that didn't work so well with the hubby's opinion of book spending, and then well I stopped getting paid to work, so that also was problematic. Now, I get a lot from libraries, I enter as many contests as I can find, I have a fabulous friend in WI that lends me books that she mails I read and send back (slowly, sorry!), and I've in the last year become involved with various groups that have graciously let me be a reviewer, and it's now my life and I love it! But there are some books that I still must buy - examples being Brisingr, Tuck, and many others.

1o. If you have children, what are some of the favorite books you have shared with them?

I do not have children yet, but hope to... With my nieces and nephews I read with them every chance I get. Right now it's still mostly board books, but with the older two (6 & 7) we read and talk about Narnia and the other I'm trying to get into the Mandie Series... just starting on that one though, so we'll see. I do wish I saw them more. At least I know that they all love books!

11. What are you reading now?

Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock, and these





Widget_logo



12. Do you keep a To Be Read list?

I have a TBR bookshelf... three shelves on it...

13. What’s next?

Flashpoint by Frank Creed

14. What books would you like to reread?

I've reread HP books each time a new one came out. I reread Hood when Scarlet was coming out, and will again with Tuck. I reread Eragon when Eldest came out and will reread both with Brisingr too. Every series that I just love, I reread the prequels to get "ready" for the new book. I reread Liz Curtis Higgs Scottish books many times. Also, I've read The Mandie Series many times as well as The Lily Adventures. I've reread a lot of things. If I do not think that I will want to reread a book I won't keep it. And I have a library with walls lined. The only problem is fitting in time to reread, when there are so many new things to read..

15. Who are your favorite authors?

Liz Curtis Higgs, Sharon Hinck, Melanie Wells, Melanie Jeschke, Rebeca Seitz, Lori Wick, Tracie Peterson, Rachel Hauck, Michelle Moran, Deeanne Gist, Deanna Raybourn, Stephen Lawhead, Bryan Davis, J.K. Rowling, Donita K. Paul, Jane Austen, Tracey Bateman, L.M. Montgomery, Tamera Alexander, Shelly Shepard Gray, DiAnn Mills, Bodie & Brock Thoene, Ginny Smith, Melody Carlson, Lisa Samson, Julie Lessman, Mary Connealy, Ted Dekker, Cindy Woodsmall, Beverly Lewis, Nancy Moser, Karen Ball, Lisa Bergren, Jan Watson, Elsa Watson, ...

"I'd love to hear your answers to these questions and maybe add a few more books to my To Be Read pile. So, please leave me a comment or post a blog link if you'd like to join me in being a book person and sharing your love of the written word!" I'd like to hear the same!

0 comments and creative thoughts:

Blog Archive