ss_blog_claim=b1c8a347d19acb6069e7726e485dcc4d

Monday, September 7, 2009

Review: Never the Bride

Never the Bride: A Novel


Never the Bride: A Novel by Rene Gutteridge

Eleven Bridesmaid Dresses Don’t Lie

Since she was just a little girl, Jessie Stone dreamed up hundreds of marriage proposals, doodled the romantic ideas in her journal with her treasured purple pen, and fantasized about wedding dresses and falling in love. She’s been a bridesmaid nearly a dozen times, waved numerous couples off to sunny honeymoons, and shopped in more department stores for half-price fondue pots than she cares to remember.

But shopping for one key component of these countless proposals hasn't been quite as productive–a future husband. The man she thought she would marry cheated on her. The crush she has on her best friend Blake is at very best…well, crushing. And speed dating has only churned out memorable horror stories.

So when God shows up one day, in the flesh, and becomes a walking, talking part of her life, Jessie is skeptical. What will it take to convince her that the Almighty has a better plan than one she’s already cooked up in her journals? Can she turn over her pen and trust someone else to craft a love story beyond her wildest dreams?


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Fabulously fun read and eye opening for some introspective. When I first picked up this book I was thinking of the film "27 Dresses" then as I started to read I was thinking of "My Best Friend's Wedding". As far as entertainment this book is up there with those films if not even more enjoyable. What would you do if God started appearing to just you to tell you to let Him write 'your' love story? That is what Jessie has to decide and it is quite the emotional adventure watching what she will end up doing and how her life may turn out.

I read this book in a day, with my five week old daughter's interruptions. I just had to continuously pick the book back up and keep reading to find out what would happen next. It is just that good! And oh what a romance! And comedy *grin*. There is such a fight to make your own path in life and fight the direction that God gives us. This is a novel about learning to let Him guide us and how His plans will make us happy if we will just let Him participate in the planning.

Finishing this novel, I cannot help but grin and giggle to myself. This is my first experience with Rene Gutteridge and Cheryl McKay, yet definitely not my last!

View all my reviews >>

  • Paperback: 320 pages
  • Publisher: WaterBrook Press (June 2, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0307444988
  • ISBN-13: 978-0307444981
  • Product Dimensions: 7.9 x 5.2 x 0.8 inches
Look at a post later today to read the first chapter!

5 comments and creative thoughts:

Stormi said...

It was a very good read and I couldn't help but laugh out loud a few times myself as I read it.

I am readig Fools Rush In by Janice Thompson right now and it is another one of those lol books. It reminds me of a Italian version of the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding...lol

CherryBlossomMJ said...

I agree. I wish I had requested that one in retrospect, it looks great.

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

I absolutely loved Never the Bride! It's awesome! Did you know that there's talk that it's going to be a movie? I can't remember where I saw that though ~ maybe in the back of the book??? If they do release it as a movie, I will definitely be buying it! :)

Thank you for a great review!

~ Lori
http://sugarandgrits.blogspot.com

PS - thanks for dropping by my blog!

CherryBlossomMJ said...

Hey Lori - It is my understanding that Cheryl wrote it first as a screen play... and then together Rene and Cheryl wrote it as a novel. Not for sure though...

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

Oooohhh ~ okay! I know they did The Ultimate Gift together...so I'm hoping this one works out, too!

~ Lori

Blog Archive