ss_blog_claim=b1c8a347d19acb6069e7726e485dcc4d

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Product Review: Tiny g's #clothdiapers

The secret is out! I can finally tell you!!


tiny babies should leave tiny footprints.
You want your baby to be earth smart from the start. So we've added tiny gPants to the gDiapers family, perfect for babies 6-10 lbs. And with a front that snaps down there's plenty of wiggle room for the umbilical cord to heal.
buy the new baby bundle
Tiny gPants are now available exclusively in the new baby bundle. Enough to keep your baby covered from day one:
new baby bundle

When our little AppleBlossom was first born our diaper stash was too large, but due to circumstances we were blessed to be able to give a trial run to some Tiny g's prototype from gDiapers. It has been a secret, but now they are out and available for all to have! I am so excited! It almost makes me want to go back in time so that I can get their new fantabulous Baby Bundle. *sigh* One day right? *giggles*



So these are my thoughts from several months ago that I shared with Kim Graham-Nye, co-owner of gDiapers that now I get to share with you with a couple edits to make it current (September 11th, 2009):



 


LOOK @ that itty bitty jaundiced AppleBlossom!

Off the top of my head, I can tell you that the Tiny g's have been my husband's favorite diaper so far out of everything that we used. In his (I forgot how this diaper works) moments he sometimes even fastened it in front instead of back, and he thought it fit better that way. We are both absolutely in love with the elastic in the tabs. (1) The first issue we had was no laundry tabs, that made washing it in the machine more testy. Only a few times did they come unfastened, but it was always difficult to refasten them after soiled and they had a mind of their own sometimes in the wash.

For our purposes, we were unable to get any gInserts in Small, not available locally (and our unemployed status - hopefully to be fixed by this weekend's trip) and by the time we had received anything ordered online she would have been out of the diapers by then. We received the diapers when she was a few days old and for a fix my mother went and purchase two packages of the Gerber diaper prefolds from Wal-Mart of all things. We folded one in half, then into thirds along the lines and they fit in the liner perfectly. It was probably a little more bulk that what a true gInsert or gCloth would contain, but it worked very well for immediate use. (Edited to add: It was definitely more bulk than the gInserts, as we have those now that we use in our Small little gPants, but still worked well. Have yet to get our hands on the envious gCloth).

Overall opinion. We absolutely love them. We would recommend them to a friend in a heart beat and I even was telling my SisterL about them and she is eager to know about them in the future with the next child. (My sister is a SAHM Catholic Homeschooler to 5. Ages 7 8, 5 6, 3 4, 2, and born April 2009. She is part of various networking Catholic homeschooling moms and is no where near through having children. She does know that this is was a no mention yet item, but in the future would now will be very influential about mentioning it. She participated in the gMom diaper code craziness too.)
I would definitely recommend these to other CD moms because one of the main issues that I see, is outside of the Kissaluvs fitted diaper size 0 with the snap down for the umbilical cord (Edited to add: - AND THE FABULOUSO Woollybums!!!) there are pretty much no real CD for newborns and that is annoying. I say that meaning unless you get the super x-smalls that are just as expensive as the smalls and they fit for a few days. We used these for three weeks, and AppleBlossom was born at 8 lbs 2.3 oz. She came home from the hospital at a little over 7 lbs, was 7 lbs 11 oz a week later, and the following week was 8 lbs 5 oz (two weeks). At five weeks she was 9 lbs and something. She grew out of them at about two and a 1/2 weeks. (And if you are curious, now at five months she is a perfect 14 lbs 2 oz).


*Typing with baby in lap now* We probably could have gotten her to wear them a partial week longer, but for their time they were definitely worth it. She grew out of them in the waist first, and having a different insert would not have changed that.





As for the Small gDiapers. The pictures that I sent were from seven days of age. She could wear them, but they were huge and not what I would want at that time really. We put the Small g's on her, but went back to using the tiny g's for the majority of that time. One thing I can say is that the Small g's were one of the only Small diapers that we attempted to use early on that would come below her cord. Everything else we own (minus the Kissaluvs size 0) came too high. (For reference in small I have at least one: Imse Vimse AIO, Bummis covers, Thirsties cover, and Fuzzi Bunz). Again we believe using the Gerber PF makes them a little more bulky than they are designed to be, but they are extremely usable and work well. I look forward to trying out gCloth to compare.






I believe that we had six. I know all the textbooks say baby will have 10-12 diaper changes in those first few days. She really had about 15 and then of course there are the change her diaper just to have her fill it within seconds moments as well. My recommendation would be 30 diapers. That would give enough for two days and some for the, "well that was a worthless change, let's try again".

The thing for me that was a bit awkward was fastening in the back. My understanding of that purpose for gDiapers is to keep it away from little hands, but at this point I do not see her hands moving much from her face. It has not been until Week five that she is really starting to do things with her hands outside of a startle grasp. I always had to roll her to one side then the other to make sure I was getting it on right. (Now at five months, of course I'm a pro...)

It is my opinion that these diapers will be a fabulous asset to someone's CD stash at the beginning. (I will get more my next go-round!) Even with a larger 8 pound baby they were great for a few weeks. In the case of a premie they would be great and small enough and even with an average 6-7 pound baby they would have worked for even an additional week or two. I do not know what I would pay for them, but I do think they would be worth getting even for such a short time, because other wise you are stuck getting the really expensive tiny dipes or using sposies.

Our only one thing was that for four days straight, she had to go back into sposies (back as in from the hospital time) because she was in the bilibed for jaundice. Other than that, this is a Cloth Diapered chicka.



 
(I cannot believe the color of those jaundiced thighs...) 



I like the design of the tiny g's with the fabric right on the liner. I know that makes it where it is a one use diaper, unlike the gPants that are multi use with a new liner, but that just means you need more in your stash. Personally at this time we have not gotten any additional liners, so all our g's are currently existing as a one use diaper. In the future that will change. In my advice to other mom's debating the gSystem, I definitely suggest going ahead and getting more liners with your gPants to really make the best of it.

One success so far is that my friend Lindsey who is not interested in CD  is interested in the concept of gDiapers and might consider CD for the next kiddo. It is enough of a compromise for her from sposies yet still not fully cloth that she could handle it.






From our experience so far. In the future with another newborn, if Tiny g's were available and at a decent price, we would we will definitely purchase some. As for little gPants we love them and plan to get got them in additional sizes (and will continue to do so) as she grows. My only issue with gDiapers overall is the price, but I know you guys have to make a living. Even at the 20% they are a little steep, but they would be a diaper treat and not our regular diaper because of that. My thinking is in comparison to where you can have a full diaper at $17 (pocket FB) and with gDiapers you have the $16-18 cover and then have to get the inserts on top of that. The comparison of covers and prefolds is just huge to that with common covers at $12+$2 for the prefold. All that said, I would still buy them, I'd just probably have bought more Bummis for the prices.


I love your products. I hope I'm helpful with my thoughts. Thank you for letting me test drive the Tiny g's and thank you for the best customer service existent with any company. Through talking with you and emailing with your husband and then watching the gBlog, I feel more like a friend of the family than customer and enjoy that immensely.

From tiny to small, this bundle has your gBaby covered. Includes 12 tiny gPants, 6 colorful, gender neutral little gPants, one case of gRefills, and a swishstick.

Newborns are tiny, so at first you'll need specially-sized tiny gPants. They fit new babies best from 6 - 10 lbs. Tiny gPants snap down in front to allow room for the umbilical cord to heal, and a wide leg opening gives plenty of room for newborn legs to curl up. In a few weeks baby will be ready for size small little gPants (fits best from 8 - 14 lbs). The new baby bundle includes 12 tiny gPants, 6 small little gPants (in a rainbow of gender neutral colors), a case of size small biodegradable gRefills (160 count), and a swishstick. Enough to have that precious bum covered from day one.

So head on over to gDiapers and check out that baby bundle for the newest bundle of joy in your life. It would be a fantastic shower gift for someone "considering" the CD life. 


All pictures here of this baby are copyright. Please do not steal them! I know they're good. Only the gDiapers company has permission to use them, and Bummis, and WoollyBums. Thank you!
 

2 comments and creative thoughts:

Jaedyn said...

Haha, thanks for the mention! All your cloth diapering adventures are helping me know what to look forward to with the second if I decided to go cloth!

And these gDiapers are definitely something I would try first. :-) Thanks for the great post!

Dutifully Following said...

I would love to buy your tiny gpants (not the small ones though.. have those already) when you're done with them!!!!! If interested please contact me at brandy@ctgh.org I'm in love with the gDiapers.. they are wonderful!

Blog Archive