ss_blog_claim=b1c8a347d19acb6069e7726e485dcc4d

Friday, September 19, 2008

The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran: a review

The Heretic Queen: A Novel The Heretic Queen: A Novel by Michelle Moran


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
Oh, what a novel! I wish it had not come to an end. Every time I picked up the book to settle in for a read, I was swept into the world of Egypt with Pharaoh's and Warrior Queen's. I was impressed by Nefertiti, Michelle Moran's debut, but The Heretic Queen surpasses my admiration by far.


Our story is told from a first person perspective straight from the mouth of Nefertari, beloved of Ramesses, and Warrior Queen of Egypt. From a child to a woman, as a reader you get to hold onto her tale. I giggled with her, and I became enraged at her enemies. I felt empathy for her situations and I praised her for her morality and decisions for love instead of revenge.



Nefertari is one for the heart, she has gone in and is there to stay. I wish her story could continue, because I would just love to soak in more. Michelle has truly a winner on her hands here. It is one of those books that I doubt I will lend, because I just want to read it again (sorry, go buy your own!). It makes me think about so many things. Although, I do believe it is a fabulous novel and can be fully enjoyed on it's own, it does make me desire to go back and re-read Nefertiti, because I have know realized things that I have missed.


Nefertiti and her Pharaoh left a legacy that was difficult if not impossible to follow for our dear Nefertari, but in this novel she is shown as a masterful work of beauty. She overcomes the "sins of her fathers" and moves beyond. So many elements of historical value are found within these pages that I want to buy a textbook or book a plane trip to learn more. Michelle gives you just a taste and it is the teaser of the mind. She is an author to watch and look forward to for more, that can know go without having to be said.


I cannot wait for Cleopatra's Daughter next year!


View all my reviews.

MJ

15 comments and creative thoughts:

Deena Peterson said...

Looking forward to reading this when it comes...thanks to a dear friend:-)

CherryBlossomMJ said...

Who me? *snicker* It's only because I love you!

Julie P. said...

Great review -- now I want to read it even more. I was happy to see that Ms. Moran has another book coming out next year!

CherryBlossomMJ said...

I'm beyond excited about Cleopatra's Daughter, so I'm really glad that I have a huge TBR pile to get through before then!

Alyce said...

I love historical fiction that sucks you into the story like that. I can't wait to read this book!

L Brons said...

So as to know how to pace myself with her other books, when next year does _Cleopatra's Daughter_ come out?

Nancy said...

After reading this review, I know that I have to read this. It sounds amazing.

Ladytink_534 said...

I seriously can't wait to read this! Sounds like such a good book!

CherryBlossomMJ said...

Coming September 15, 2009
I am really looking forward to the publication of this novel! Cleopatra's Daughter will follow the incredible life of Cleopatra's surviving children with Marc Antony -- twins, named Alexander Helios and Cleopatra Selene, and a younger son named Ptolemy. All three were taken to Rome and paraded through the streets, then sent off to be raised by Octavia (the wife whom Marc Antony left for Cleopatra). Raised in one of the most fascinating courts of all time, Cleopatra's children would have met Ovid, Seneca, Vitruvius (who inspired the Vitruvian man), Agrippa (who built the Pantheon), Herod, his sister Salome, the poets Virgil, Horace, Maecenas and so many others!

CherryBlossomMJ said...

That last "posted" comment came directly from Michelle's website. http://www.michellemoran.com

Beth F said...

I have Nefertiti, and your review means I have to read it sooner than later. Thanks -- I think!

Steve and Eden said...

I'd never heard of this author or her books. I'm adding it to my list!

bigskygirls said...

Wow, an Egyptian setting sounds interesting. I'll be looking into this series. Thanks for the review!
-D-

Memory said...

Every review I come across makes me want to read this just a little bit more.

Sheila Deeth said...

This series sounds great. Thanks for the introduction and reviews.

Blog Archive