ss_blog_claim=b1c8a347d19acb6069e7726e485dcc4d

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Jessie by Lori Wick: a review

Jessie (Big Sky Dreams, book 3) Jessie by Lori Wick


My review


rating: 2 of 5 stars
At about half way through I can tell you that the story is good and fun and intriguing. But the writing is irritating. Much as I said when I reviewed Sabrina by Lori Wick, the word usage is just awkward and causes a break in concentration and overall is ruining the book. I just do not understand it either, because I have read dozens of her books and never have found this in the before Sabrina and now Jessie. It is just weird, it is the same usage of "that" in all of the weirdest places. You might have to see it, to understand what I'm talking about but it is just weird.



After being completely finished, my overall opinion is that I'm disappointed. The story has so much potential and is really pretty good, but then it just ends completely abruptly. Then most of the loose ends are wrapped up in a whirl wind in the epilogue. The usage of "that" is just odd through out, but even beyond that, I do not know it just was not the best of Lori Wick that I have read. I am not saying do not read it, because it has tons of wonderful gospel lessons and heart warming plots, there is just a strangeness to the wording and then just ending. It could have been better, but it is still an okay read.


View all my reviews.

4 comments and creative thoughts:

Steve and Eden said...

It's been a while since I read a Lori Wick book. I need to read some, but I won't start with this one. Thank you for the heads up.

CherryBlossomMJ said...

I do love Lori Wick, and that's why this book was such a shock to me. I mean the story is there, it's just too much of distraction. There are other dozens of her books that I love and would recommend to anyone! Like The English Garden Series, A Place Called Home Series, Sophie's Heart, etc etc...

Anonymous said...

Though not the best of Lori's books, I did enjoy it, especially the view from both Jessie and her husband in his trying to live out his faith and take responsibility and her not knowing what to make of it all. I can imagine the very real problems and tensions there would be in such a situation.

Lori did say before or after the book that this story didn't "flow" for her like some others had. But I don't remember any awkward wording except that she has always used the word "that" a little too much and in a way most people don't use it -- maybe it is a regional thing, I don't know. But it didn't ruin the book for me.

CherryBlossomMJ said...

I do not know if it is a regional thing or not. I have never noticed it in the dozens of other Lori Wick books that I have read until twice in Sabrina, and more than a dozen times in Jessie. Either way, I still will read her books with a disruption or not.

Blog Archive